About STEAM Powered
STEAM fields have a ubiquitous influence on our lives, yet there is still a significant gender disparity in these areas. The reasons for this are numerous, but I don’t want a lack of awareness of the wonders and potential of these fields to be one of them.
Join me in my conversations with women in STEAM where we learn a bit about what they do, and who they are. Whether they are currently active in STEAM fields, STEAM adjacent, or were STEAM in a past life, these fields have touched their lives. Through our conversations, I hope to showcase these incredible women so that people can gain some insight into the potential these fields hold, the diversity of our extended cohort, and our unique personal and professional journeys.
We’re a fascinating bunch, and I want you to meet some of us.
About the Host
Michele Ong is a web and application developer by trade with a background in Computer Science (and Asian Studies, but that’s a different story). She has been freelancing for more than 15 years, doing the telecommute thing long before COVID made it hip in Australia, and has worked for organisations ranging from start-ups to internationally recognised brands in Australia, North America, and Europe.
Despite the solitary nature of her work, Michele kinda likes people. She finds them interesting. She even made her Computer Science Honours thesis about psychometrics. And now she wants you to meet people she finds interesting as well.
Want to Support Us?
Join the STEAM Powered Village. To support this show and its growing community, you can:
- Watch and subscribe to our channel on YouTube.
- Listen to the podcast, which is available on: Apple Podcasts, Spotify, iHeartRadio, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, Castbox, Deezer, Goodpods, Overcast, Pocket Casts, RadioPublic, TuneIn, Blubrry, Digital Podcast, Gaana, Podcast Addict, Podchaser, Podhero, PlayerFM, JioSaavn, RSS, and other podcast platforms.
- Follow/Like us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Mastodon, TikTok, and LinkedIn.
- Become a patron on Patreon.
Note: Patreon supports once-off and recurring donations.
- [Affiliate] Start your own podcast or YouTube channel, or run panels and seminars with Riverside.fm. Record up to 8 people in a session with up to 1000 audience members. You can record in advance as I do, or you can livestream with the option to send it straight to Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, or Twitch. There's even a green-room for guests and live call in for audience members. Afterwards, get separate video (up to 4K) and audio (up to 48kHz) tracks per recorded participant for editing, none of that “active speaker only” limitation. You know you're in good hands with a service whose client-base includes some heavy-hitters. Check out Riverside.fm to see who else is on board. Use promo code
STEAM25to get 25% off the first three months of your subscription.
Every bit helps, and I truly appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.
Thank you very much to our patrons!
- Meeple Like Us
- Michael Kingsley
- Brian Alvey
Intro and outro music is Gypsy Jazz in Paris 1935 by Brett Van Donsel.
 Even if some of them don’t think they are themselves. Which is kind of the point.
 She also apparently likes Terry Pratchett.